Oblivious Maven: How to Cross-Stitch with Young Children

Saturday, August 26, 2006

How to Cross-Stitch with Young Children

Here's an update on My Craft Project. I thought I'd share my new discovery....... how a Mommy can actually work on her own craft project while the kids are still young!

First, find a large steel-like container with locks. Restrain your kids inside, each with a separate restraining device. Have snacks and drinks and bottles and toys readily available to throw to them when you just can't stand their protests any longer. An Ipod is a nice touch, for yourself of course. Lock them inside.

Works great! Here's my cross-stitch after several hours:



That's going to be a baby's footprint. I hope to get Mr. Baby's name on it by the time he graduates college.

Oh, by the way.....while your kids are strapped in the locked container, you'll have to make sure that someone else is driving. And make certain that the restraining devices are installed properly. Be prepared to answer many variations of the question "Are we there yet?" in ways that satisfy the pickiest of captives for at least 10 minutes at a stretch. Furthermore, at the current gas prices, you might want to evaluate how necessary your project really is. This has got to be the most costly friggin' unfinished project that I've ever not yet finished.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karmyn R said...

Dang - I get too carsick. I suppose sending the children off with someone else doesn't count.

1:05 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

see, that's why i love you so. you have just as many undone things as i do.
and yes. i often wonder how anything gets done with babies underfoot and in tow. it had been so long, i forgot that the standards have to lower a bit.
college on the cross-stich sounds just about right.
incidentally, the last time i did a cross-stitch was when i was pregnant with evan - he's 10!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

About 5 minutes of riding in a car and I'm out! No kidding...everytime! As for driving, I'll last a good ten minutes before I zzzzzzzzzzz...

11:53 PM  
Blogger Beth Fish said...

I'm lucky - Mia is young enough that I can still just shove her in the closet and she can't figure out how to get out.

Kidding! Kidding! Sheesh, some people have no sense of humor. ;)

4:29 PM  
Blogger HULA77 said...

Too funny girl! I hear you on the projects. My mom keeps giving me stuff and I just keep putting it up in the attic with my other cross-stich, jewelry-making, stamping, scrapbooking, needlepoint stuff. And, by the time I will have time, I'll be fookin' blind from old age!

Oh, and I hate those words: Are we there yet. Like nails on a chalkboard to me!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home