Oblivious Maven: Harry Has It Right, I'm the Worst

Monday, June 12, 2006

Harry Has It Right, I'm the Worst

In the movie When Harry Met Sally, Harry says to Sally, "There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance. You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance, but you think you're low maintenance ". You've seen it. You know why.
Well, I've always bragged that I was Low Maintenance/Low Maintenance when it comes to gifts. I don't expect gifts, even if it's my birthday. I make deals so that Mr. Maven won't feel the need to procure something nice, yet unnecessary for me at society-delegated intervals. Poor guy, haunted by the echoes of other females who say they don't want anything on special occasions, but really do. It's taken me years to deprogram him. Years.
I notoriously grumble, grumble at set dates requiring a gift to another. What is that? Meaningless. To me, it means "have to", or "met obligation", or "Why I can't afford drapes because I'm busy buying gifts for people who will immediately give them to the Goodwill". Phooey.
However, gifts that are unexpected are wonderful. Touching. They make me feel truly appreciated and special. Because they are from the heart. Because they were given with true meaning. Meaningful.
Aaaah. The unexpected gift.

Like this charming southwest style lapis bracelet.

(Some images are darker blue than they appear.)

So here's the math. Not my strong point, so s'cuse my errors.

365 days/year, right?. Minus Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Wedding Anniversary, Birthday, Christmas.....probably more. So perhaps only 10 days/year I'm not expecting a gift.

That leaves approximately 355 days of opportunity to surprise me with a gift, on a day that I would truly enjoy it. A day that would make me feel like the greatest Mom / Wife / Hostess / WhateverTheSurpriseExcuseThatSomeoneCouldGiftMeFor.

Harry would definitely turn to me and say "You're the worst kind".

p.s.
This post was inspired by the unexpected gift I received today from a relative. Ms. Sneaky even asked me for my favorite color first. Namely blue, darker blue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home